Another well-known psychotherapist, Sigmund Freud, called potency disorders the most common failure in every man's life. And what is surprising is that many, many years have passed since then and this statement still remains relevant.
Modern medicine has learned to solve problems with power, there are many diagnostic and treatment technologies. But to this day, for a man, any difficulty in the intimate sphere has a strong blow to pride and self-confidence.
Causes of decreased potency in men
To dispel a number of myths related to this problem, let's first talk a little about statistics.
Did you know that:
- 20% of men experience erectile dysfunction;
- 10% of men turn to specialists with sexual problems;
- 80% of men notice a decrease in potency associated with physiological disorders of the body;
- In 90% of cases, erectile dysfunction is completely treatable.
- Agree, on the one hand - not everything is as scary as it seemed, on the other hand - the presence of physiological causes of erectile dysfunction is a good reason to suspect any disease.
- So, the organic causes of impotence can be as follows.
- Vascular. Damage to the vascular walls leads to the interruption of blood supply to the penis, and consequently, to a decrease in potency. Diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis, cardiovascular diseases and other diseases lead to vascular problems.
- Hormonal. Testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism) is often seen in middle-aged and elderly men. Testosterone production can also be interfered with by an excess of its antagonist, prolactin.
- Iatrogenic. Slow power develops against the background of a man taking prescribed medications, for example, for peptic ulcers, cardiovascular diseases and gout. Canceling the drugs or replacing them with analogs will help solve the problem.
- Neurogenic. Erectile dysfunction occurs as a result of previous diseases, strokes, injuries of the central nervous system and peripheral nerves. In ¾ of the cases, the reasons for the decrease in strength are spinal injuries, ¼ - intervertebral hernia, neoplasms, multiple sclerosis and other diseases. The erection weakens due to the difficult passage to the cavernous bodies or the complete absence of nerve impulses.
Lifestyle and potency disorders
Very often, men forget that sexual strength is mainly influenced by the way a person takes care of himself and his general health.
It's no secret that smoking and regular alcohol consumption are one of the main causes of sexual failure. Also, men's health is affected by the presence of stress, frequent visits to the bathroom, improper food. By eating an excessive amount of fatty foods (and even together with alcohol intake), a man provokes an increase in body weight and an increase in the production of female sex hormones. As a result, this lifestyle can lead not only to erectile dysfunction, but also to infertility.
Psychological causes of weak power
This type of main source of problems with erectile function is worth considering separately. Young people are more likely to suffer from such disorders, in most cases - those who have just started to lead a sexual life.
The reasons for the weak power in this case may lie:
- in the presence of psychological traumas of childhood or adolescence, when parents inspired their child that sex is something shameful, unworthy;
- in experiences due to the lack of personal experience, and therefore from the fear of being ridiculed;
- from the fear of contracting sexually transmitted diseases;
- in the fear related to the partner's unwanted pregnancy, etc.
According to experts, an adult man who has enough sexual experience behind him is quite capable of solving the psychological problems of erectile dysfunction. But young people often cannot do without professional help.
Surprisingly, relations with a partner can become both a cause of problems (if they are not close enough), and a means to get rid of impotence (if they are warm, sincere).
Another important fact. If psychological factors can be the cause of weak power itself, then organic erectile dysfunction is always accompanied by a psychogenic component. As a result, after eliminating the root cause of the problems, psychological difficulties come to the fore and interfere with a man's normal sexual life.
How to identify the cause of erectile dysfunction
- Urogenital diseases are diagnosed by an andrologist or urologist. You will need to have a blood test, sperm and biological tests and undergo an ultrasound.
- Hormonal disorders will be detected by an endocrinologist. The doctor will recommend to undergo an ultrasound examination and computed tomography of the endocrine glands, to donate blood for hormones.
- Vascular disorders will be determined by a vascular surgeon. Studies are carried out by means of Doppler ultrasound and functional tests that show the level of blood supply to the penis.
- Diseases of the brain and spinal cord, peripheral nervous system will help to identify a neurologist. You will be assigned electroencephalography, tomography of the spinal cord and brain, rheoencephalography, electromyography.
- The psychological causes of sexual disorders can only be found by a psychotherapist, psychiatrist or sexologist. Diagnostic methods in this case are psychological testing, conversations with the patient.
5 main causes of potency problems: Age has nothing to do with it!
Age, fatigue, lack of sleep, stress. Forget those words! None of these conditions affect potency and libido if the man is physically healthy.
If you decide to try different erection stimulants (pharmaceutical and not), do not be too lazy to start understanding what actually causes "discharges".
Hormonal imbalance, or where do men get female hormones?
What are we talking about?Decreased levels of male hormones and/or increased levels of female hormones.
Who is to blame?Normally, a man's body produces a large amount of male hormones and a small amount of female hormones. Alcohol, smoking, malnutrition, irregular sex life, beriberi, liver diseases - all this (and not only! ) sooner or later leads to:
- the production of male sex hormones decreases,
- and the production of women, on the contrary, may increase.
Of course, this is not good.
What should be done?
- Pass special tests. Find out exactly which hormones are missing and which are "wild".
- Determine the scope of the problem.
- Replenish your body with the missing hormones.
- Suppress the production of excessive amounts of female hormones.
- Restore the body's ability to produce hormones in the right amount (neither more nor less).
What kind of tests should be done?Donating biomaterials to everything is an unpleasant and expensive profession. Ask a urologist. He will conduct an examination, analyze your complaints and tell you what tests you need to pass.
He will then choose the preparations that contain hormones that suit you. Or he will prescribe a treatment so that the body "remembers" how many hormones should be produced.
What is the prognosis?With a properly selected course of treatment and the implementation of the doctor's recommendations, the prognosis is positive - strength, as a rule, is restored. Any age.
Infections of various origins
What are we talking about?Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), or infections that are "dormant" in the body, waking up under certain conditions.
Who is to blame?Infections and harmful bacteria can appear mainly for two reasons:
- Suspicious "contacts" without protective means.
- Reproduction of microorganisms that constantly live inside each person in small quantities. Typically, such microorganisms wake up in diseases of internal organs, when the immune system weakens.
What should be done?Both must be identified and disposed of. The earlier the better.
What tests should be done?There are many types of infectious diseases. Taking tests for all types is a waste of time and money. Visit a urologist, list all your symptoms, tell in detail about your feelings during urination, during or after sexual intercourse, do an examination and ultrasound.
An experienced urologist will collect all this information and make a list of necessary laboratory tests. Then, based on their results, he will make a diagnosis and prescribe drugs and procedures.
What is the prognosis?Today, the vast majority of infectious lesions are completely treatable.
Inflammation: From pain to impotence - 1 step!
What are we talking about?Prostatitis, epididymitis, urethritis, vesiculitis, cystitis and others - all, as you noticed, with the suffix "-IT". Conditions that bring men suffering from pain, cramps, burning, high temperature and other unpleasant sensations.
These sensations can occur during or after urination, during sexual intercourse or in the process of ejaculation, while walking, lifting weights, and even at rest.
Who is to blame?Very often it is the man himself who is to blame. Hypothermia and, conversely, overheating, ignoring the first symptoms of diseases (not only urological, the cause of inflammation can also be untreated dental caries), unhealthy habits, casual relationships, infections, attempts at self-medication, takinguncontrolled use of antibiotics and others. drugs.
All this accumulates gradually - until a focus of inflammation is formed in one of the organs.
What should be done?Diagnose and treat. The sooner, the less damage will be done to the body. Inflammations cause problems not only with potency - they can lead to infertility. The ideal option is to have time to recover in the acute phase. But this is not always the case - often people come to the doctor already with a chronic form.
What is the prognosis?Acute inflammation can be cured quite quickly. And if you take care of yourself and do not neglect the doctor's recommendations, then relapses (repeated exacerbations) may not occur.
Chronic inflammation is also treatable. But the treatment takes a little longer. And there is a high probability of repeated irritations as a result of cold or stress.
Vascular problems: No blood - no erection!
What are we talking about?Partial or complete blockage of penile vessels due to the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.
What is happening?A normal erection requires rapid blood flow to the penis. If there are atherosclerotic plaques or blood clots in the blood vessels, the movement of blood slows down and the power deteriorates. Complete blockage of blood vessels leads to absolute impotence.
Who is to blame?Improper diet, sedentary lifestyle, bad habits, too frequent or vice versa, too rare sexual contact, diseases of the cardiovascular system, increased pressure, etc.
What should be done?Look for the reason. Together with the urologist. Usually, special hardware studies are carried out for this:
- Dopplerography of vessels
- Erectile function test
What is the prognosis? Depending on the condition of your vessels, they must either be freed from atherosclerotic plaques or new vessels must be grown. Which method is most suitable in your case, the doctor will determine.
Comprehensive machine treatment is needed - vacuum LOD therapy, shock wave therapy, magneto-laser therapy. A good effect is achieved when these techniques are combined with PRP therapy and intravenous injections.
The first positive results appear almost immediately. It is important not to stop at this stage, otherwise everything will return to normal very quickly. Do not be lazy, completely go through the course of treatment to consolidate the effect for a long time.
Diseases of the lumbosacral spine
What are we talking about?Diseases of the spine in the lumbar and / or sacral regions directly affect the health of the pelvic organs in men.
What is happening?Due to osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia, displacement of vertebrae, blood circulation is disturbed, nerve endings can be affected. This causes pain and numbness. And as a result - violation of power.
What should be done?Go through a course of treatment together with a urologist and a neurologist - here you need medicines, massage, and acupuncture, and specially designed exercises and physiotherapy (magnet, UVT, laser). Such therapy quickly relieves pain, helps restore normal urination, improves blood circulation and restores lost sensitivity.
What is the prognosis?If you have not brought yourself to the point where you need spinal surgery, then the prognosis is very comforting. With simultaneous treatment by a neurologist and a urologist, a fairly quick recovery and restoration of strength is possible.
If you are shown an operation on the spine, then the recovery will be much longer and quite complicated. Do not bring to surgery - consult a doctor in time!
Examination by a urologist for problems with potency
Initial appointment with a urologist-andrologist
- ultrasound of the prostate
- ultrasound of the bladder
- Doppler study of blood vessels - for problems with power
- Erectile function test - for potency problems
- Biothesiometry - for problems with potency and early ejaculation
- Consultation with the doctor, assessment of examination results
Erectile dysfunction: types, causes and methods of treatment
Men of every nationality, no matter where they live and no matter what age they are, are concerned about problems with their penis. They are especially afraid when the erect penis is not strong enough, impossible and it is impossible to have sexual intercourse. This disorder is called erectile dysfunction or impotence.
It should be noted that almost all representatives of the strong half of humanity from the age of 20 and older face poor quality erections. But it is possible to assume the presence of this disorder of sexual function only if 25% of cases of intimate communication are damaged (every fourth sexual intercourse occurs with a "defect").
Erectile dysfunction becomes a real tragedy for a man, he suffers it physically and psychologically, so it must be treated immediately.
Characteristics and symptoms of impotence
There are such signs of erectile dysfunction:
- lack of sexual desire. The unwillingness of intimacy, that is, a violation of libido, occurs with a decrease in the production of testosterone (male hormone), depression due to stress, frequent fatigue, a bad state after a quarrel with a sexual partner;
- slow erection, as a result of vascular diseases, etc. ;
- lack of ejaculation due to psychological factors;
- anorgasmia - the lack of orgasm, as a rule, is also associated with psychology.
The types of disorder are determined by its causes:
- organic - autoimmune diseases, hypertension, diabetes and a number of other serious diseases;
- psychogenic - problems with a partner, overload, stress;
According to statistics, almost 80% of erectile dysfunction cases are associated with organic problems.
Each of the above types has its own characteristics. Psychological impotence appears suddenly, immediately, but the erection in the morning remains at the right level and the stimulation of the penis continues throughout the sexual intercourse.
Organic erectile dysfunction manifests itself gradually. Sexual desire is present, orgasm occurs, but the penis loses its hardness in the process of intimacy. Every day the erection weakens. This indicates the presence of a disease.
With the mixed nature of the disorder, the two aforementioned factors appear simultaneously for convenient reasons.
Causes of impotence
It is advisable to list the most common causes of this disorder of male sexual function:
- Taking certain medications or other substances. It is about the use of drugs that reduce the activity of the cerebral cortex and thus reduce the production of testosterone, anti-depressants, anti-allergens, etc. This includes alcohol and drugs.
- Psychological factors are standard - depression, constant stress, severe neurosis. Inconsistency in addictions and desires in sex with the partner or a bad relationship with him, fear of failure in sexual relations, banal fatigue at work. A lot depends on the partner - her excessive insistence or the "wrong" word that came out can contribute to a weakening of the erection.
- Various neurological diseases, blood circulation disorders, injuries to the penis, pelvis or perineum, etc.
- Abnormal functionality of the endocrine system means a violation of male hormone production, which is caused by genetic failures, tumors, infections and old age. Obesity also changes the hormonal background and since this problem has already affected young representatives of the strong half of humanity, doctors are concerned that impotence is being diagnosed more and more in this part of the population.
In addition to the above, epilepsy, penile trauma and vascular sclerosis can contribute to impotence. The latter disrupts blood circulation in the genitals through the arteries, which is necessary for an erection, so it is either weak or completely absent. In addition, problems with the veins lead to rapid stimulation of the penis, but it quickly disappears and sexual intercourse cannot be performed normally.
Difficulties with blood vessels are generally dangerous for the male population of the Earth. Violation of their inner shell is common for people suffering from autoimmune diseases, as well as for those who smoke heavily. There is also a disease called penile angiospasm, characterized by impaired blood circulation in the vessels of the penis.
Be careful with your manhood
The cause of impotence is sometimes congenital anomalies of the penis. Such is the rare Peyronie's disease - the opening of the urethra is located incorrectly.
Another natural violation is a defect in the frenulum, a longitudinal fold of the skin. It is located between the head of the penis and the foreskin and has this purpose: when excited, open the head, fix its curve and prevent its movement. If the frenulum is short, then the man will experience pain during intercourse, and spots may even appear.
In addition, such a defect leads to premature ejaculation, so a man is taught to hold back during sex to prolong it. As a result, this is fraught with erectile dysfunction in a stable form. All can be corrected very quickly and easily by surgically dissecting the frenulum. The operation is simple, takes little time and is well practiced.
Separately, it should be said about injuries to the genital organ (bruises, burns, gunshot and knife wounds, accidents) that lead to impotence. If you take them, you should immediately consult a doctor for help, and the sooner this is done, the more likely it is to avoid complete irreversible erectile dysfunction.
- fracture of the penis during rough intercourse, impact or bending. There is a dangerous rupture of the corpus cavernosum for potency, there is severe pain, hematoma, the organ swells. Depending on the severity of the situation, compresses or surgery may be prescribed as treatment;
- injury from a fall, exercise, in a fight. Such a closed injury violates the urethra, is manifested by a hematoma, pain when walking. Treatment - nonsteroidal analgesic, compresses, rarely - surgery;
- burns from chemicals, boiling water, ultraviolet rays;
- subcutaneous hemorrhage, in which blood vessels are damaged, swelling appears. It is dangerous because during healing, wounds can be created that can become an obstacle to blood flow, without which an erection is impossible. A cold compress can help.
Impotence can be caused by a combination of anatomical and psychological factors: a person after an injury had sexual intercourse and experienced very strong pain. In the future, on a subconscious level, he will be afraid to have sexual intercourse, which, sooner or later, will generally lead to the impossibility of an erection.
Hypothetically dangerous and some operations. Thus, the famous composer Andrew Lloyd Webber, the author of the world-famous musicals "Cats" and "Phantom of the Opera", publicly declared: he is impotent and became so after the operation - he removed a prostate tumor. Such a surgical intervention can really cause impotence, but in this case doctors save a person's life. However, if you undergo regular examinations by a urologist, then prostate cancer or adenoma can be detected at an early stage and its treatment can be started in time. Then such an operation, which leads to the loss of sexual function, will not be necessary.
Every modern person, from young to old, is inevitably subject to stress in the life cycle. Some have bad habits, are malnourished and inactive due to the specifics of the job. All this leads to a deterioration of health, including in the sexual sphere. Modesty does not allow a man to go to the doctor and confess his impotence, but this is a false idea.
In any case, regardless of the causes and manifestations of erectile dysfunction, you should immediately contact a specialist. Currently, sexologists are able to help in the fight against various cases of impotence, as they have a large arsenal of tools for this.
Caution: self-medication for this sexual disorder is dangerous, as pills and devices that support erection advertised everywhere help for a while and can even harm. Using them will lead to the loss of precious time, during which the problem will only worsen.
It should be noted that very rarely the treatment is the use of a single method that eliminates the pathological factor. As a rule, an integrated approach is much more effective, especially if the case (and this happens often) is neglected. This method of treating erectile dysfunction quickly restores sexual function by eliminating the factors that led to this disorder and helps the patient cope with the uncertainty that was created when impotence occurred.
Of course, erectile dysfunction is not a deadly problem, but because of it, a man's quality of life decreases, his health and mood deteriorate, and families fall apart. Therefore, its removal is essential.
Impotence has ceased to be a punishment. If a man has the first signs, symptoms, then he just needs to seek help from a urologist. Early impotence develops more often against the background of inflammatory processes, STD - their treatment has long been quick and successful with timely access to specialists.